The Inn at the Green – 500 South Main Street
Built by Walter S. Arrel in 1876

This large Victorian "Baltimore" townhouse is presently owned by Steve and Ginny Meloy, who converted it into a Bed and Breakfast in 1986. The side porch of this red brick structure has a sweeping view of Poland’s Village Green. The Inn's architecture has all the grandeur and charm of by-gone days. Its large moldings, twelve foot ceilings, five working fireplaces, interior window shutters and original poplar floors make the Inn special. All of the rooms are furnished with antiques, oriental rugs and original paintings to create the ambiance and charm of a dignified century home and makes a visitor feel that they are stepping back in time. Steve and Ginny have done a superb job of preserving and maintaining this structure which was literally falling apart when purchased. They have restored the property to its original splendor.

Walter S. Arrel, the original builder, was the youngest son of John A. Arrel who arrived in Poland Township in 1801 to stake out 200 acres of land bordering on the southern boundary of the Western Reserve. The land had been purchased by John’s father from Turhand Kirtland. Once the land was cleared 24 year old John Arrel looked around for a bride and married Martha Stewart, the daughter of another early settler of Town One, Range One. The couple had 4 sons and 4 daughters and as the family grew so did the number of the farms they acquired. At one time John Arrel owned over 600 acres in Poland Township and over 1,000 sheep. All of their 8 children became involved with the management of the family’s large land holdings. Only two of the children ever married; Walter not until later in life. Walter was 55 years old when he met and married 43 year old Martha Duff in 1871. Martha soon discovered that she had no interest in sheep or farming. After listening to several years of complaining, Walter finally agreed to build Martha a house inside the Village of Poland. It was sort of a compromise with Martha getting a large new house within walking distance of stores and Walter still being able to raise a few sheep which he grazed on the Village Green. Walter died in 1901 at the age of 85 and Martha passed away two years later at the age of 75. They are both buried in the Riverside Cemetery next to other family members. Riverside Cemetery records show that Walter S. Arrel was one of the cemetery original founders in 1864.

For a brief time in the 1930s the house was covert into the Tally Ho Tavern with liquid refreshments served on the first floor and space provided for dancing on the third floor. There was also bus service to and from Youngstown that stopped at the tavern.